Thursday, February 5, 2009

no more gluten for at least two weeks, no matter how weird my meals will have to get. the last couple days i've been like man i'm not eating enough because i am so dizzy and shaky all the time, but how is that possible when i'm eating at least 2000 calories a day? then i realized, it's the wheat. -.- i'm so clever. i have been losing a little bit of weight so my hypothesis made sense, but even that can be attributed to eating wheat.

this is especially sad because i've recently discovered how delicious foccaccia is. :(

today it was so sunny out that i sat on my balcony in a t-shirt reading for an hour, and then it started sleeting while i was in anthro class. the weather here still blows my mind.

ombretta said my italian theater class could only count as a 200, so i might need to switch courses. i think i'm going to stick with anthro for both modules, my teacher is too adorable to pass up for any amount of time. her name is zelda, and she puts up most of what she says on slides, which is extremely helpful for non-native speakers such as myself!

today in anthro we talked about native americans, which are consistently called indians here. we read a quote from a european anthropologist who said that native americans are the most radically primitive and savage, and my teacher insisted that native americans are now extinct. wtf? i'm definitely writing my mid-term paper on native americans and their wonderful culture, and the fact that they STILL EXIST. students don't learn about native americans in grade school like we do, so it's interesting to hear about them from this...unfamiliar...approach.

3 comments:

Mom said...

So - your great-grandmother was "most radically primitive and savage"? I don't think your grandfather would have liked to hear that!
And Nike has recently created a special athletic shoe just for native americans, because their feet tend to be wider and have higher arches than European feet and they weren't buying NIKE shoes. You'd think they would have checked on the extinct thing first!

Unknown said...

I think it would actually be really weird if they learned about Amerindians in grade school in Italy.

Peach said...

wow. really? extinct? from an anthro professor? I'm at a complete loss.