Wednesday, March 4, 2009

what a day!

yesterday a cavity filling fell out, leaving a big hole where there really shouldn't be one in my tooth. i am not the biggest fan of this. however, i located a dentist and called this afternoon complete with my dentistry vocabulary list, and talked to a very sweet receptionist who got me an appointment for tomorrow morning. i have to take a train and walk a bit to get to the office, but it seems like a really nice place and there are some american dentists there who can speak with me in english if necessary.

this morning i had my theater class, and we did articulation exercises! i have never had a problem with articulation in english (except when i'm nervous and my voice jumps two octaves and i can't form eloquent let alone coherent sentences...ha) but it is a rather challenging thing for me in italian. however, it is a welcome challenge! we were given two poems that we read over and over, varying speed, emotion, and enunciation. it ended up being a lot of fun and we all made significant improvements by the end of class.

i also had my last history class today! :D at the end of class i went up to my professor to ask where and when the exam was and how i'm supposed sign up for it. as i mentioned previously, when i'm nervous my voice is a bit high pitched and light, and this is pretty much a given when speaking with professors (in any country). i also blush a lot and it's dumb. so there i was in front of a bunch of italian students trying to get some info from my most terrifying professor. he said everything i needed to know loud enough so everyone could hear, but so quickly that i had to ask him to repeat it so i could write everything down. he asked me where i was from and i said washington d.c., and he was like oh REALLY and gave me this horribly disdainful look. bleh. then he gestured toward the group of students waiting to talk to him and he was like can someone please help this clueless american girl figure out what she's supposed to do? fortunately some guy patiently and politely explained everything i needed to know. siiiiiigh. -.-

i now have my returning flight booked, and i will be flying home on may 10th through amsterdam and detroit!

now i'm off to a party at the program office, which should be fun.

one quick note about food before i go. yesterday i had tortelloni smothered with a gorgonzola sauce and walnuts, and it was such an excellent combination of flavors that i was really sad when it ended.

No comments: