Monday, January 19, 2009

monday monday

i have successfully moved in to my new apartment! right now i'm on a computer in an "internet point" so i can't upload my pictures yet, but trust me it's gorgeous. also FREEZING. gilberto and romano gave me three blankets for my bed, in addition to the one i already have, and i was like, seriously? four? YES seriously four. it's colder than it was in my basement room at school.

sleep is still very much a problem. saturday night i went to bed at midnight, had a dream where i had two mysterious bloody bruises on both hips, and around 0330 i woke up to the worst hip joint pain imaginable. not sure what that was about. took a bunch of naproxen and a benadryl to help with sleep. i woke up again and my analog clock said 0400, but it felt like i had slept for more than half an hour so i checked my cellphone which said 1600! i guess my body really wanted sleep. last night i went to bed at midnight and woke up at 0230, went back to bed at 0600 and woke up at 900 for class. dumb.

people here have wildly different reactions to me. some people treat me rather negatively for being an american despite my trying hard to always speak italian and to be as polite as possible, and i have frequently heard negative comments about the color of my hair and my paleness (last night a drunk lady said she shouldn't have to get out of my way because i look like a ghost on fire), and some people call me "dearest" and tell me i'm "the best kind of cute". it's...really confusing.

my orientation class started today and i got placed in the highest level, which should be challenging in a good way. i adore my teacher but the class is three hours long and there was no break so i was pretty twitchy after the first hour. my classroom is really far away from my apartment and the program's building, so i'm not sure if i'll be able to find it again tomorrow. :P

i can't wait for actual classes to start. i also really want my student ID so i can go to the sport center and join some activities and meet people. apparently i live in the hip and happenin' part of town, which is pretty sweet.

2 comments:

Mom said...

HURRAY Sweetie! Your first apartment in Italy, and in a hip, happening part of town, no less! No more than I would expect from s Ghost on fire (I like that, it sounds pretty impressive!) Pat's surgery will not be before Thursday, it looks like, but we'll keep you posted.

Unknown said...

You are definitely the best kind of cute, though I'm not sure ghost on fire is a bad thing.